16. His understanding made a deep impression ________ the young girl.
17. They have been trying to arrive at a practical solution ________ the problem.
18. In many American families, parents feel that children should make important decisions ____.
A) to themselves
B) on themselves
C) of themselves
D) by themselves
19. A good friend is one who will ________ you when you are in trouble.
A) stand for
B) stand by
C) stand up to
D) stand up with
20. The speaker ________ his notes before the lecture.
A) ran down
B) ran into
C) ran out
D) ran over
21. I find this treatment very ________ to my health.
22. Don’t have him for a friend. He’s ________ a criminal.
A) anything but
B) but for
C) rather than
D) nothing but
23. As a ________ president, his views are treated with respect when he is interviewed.
24. The supply of electric power to Madrid and neighboring districts has had to be ________.
25. Is it advisable to ________ our body to the sunlight.
26. ________ the punishment was unjust. Helen accepted it without complaint.
B) So long as
C) Even though
27. It is not difficult to ________ the idea that machines may communicate information to us.
28. I have not the least ________ of hurting your feelings.
29. As the shortage of certain metals approaches, others must be found to take their ________.
30. Mary is in bed with a fever and she can’t hope to ________ the cold in a few day.
A) get over
B) get away
C) get off
D) get out