31. Although the weather was very had, the buses still ran on ________.
32. Jane was hit on the head by the robber and was knocked ________.
33. The car is quite ________ of petrol.
34. ________ his GREat wealth, he always remained a man of simple tastes.
A) Except for
B) With regard to
35. The socks were too small and it was only by ________ them that he managed to get them on.
36. Language can be defined as a tool by which human beings ________ with one another.
37. As a small boy, he was slow ________ learning to read and write.
38. Tony was ________ a mile of the hotel when he ran out of petrol.
39. It has been rather costly to install the machinery, but it will prove to be worth the money ___.
A) in the long run
B) in conclusion
C) at long last
D) at the end
40. I don’t know why he ________ in the middle of a sentence.
A) broke off
B) broke out
C) broke through
D) broke away
41. It was difficult to guess what her ________ to the news would be.
42. There were some ________ flowers on the table.
43. We are interested in the weather because it ________ us so directly-what we wear, what we do, and even how we feel.
44. Will all those ________ the proposal raise their hands?
A) in relation to
B) in contrast to
C) in excess of
D) in favor of
45. Children are very curious ________.
A) at heart
B) in person
C) on purpose
D) by nature