46. He went ahead ________ all warnings about the danger of his mission.
A) in case of
B) because of
C) regardless of
D) prior to
47. We object ________ punishing a whole group for one person’s fault.
48. Jack is good, kind, hard-working and intelligent; ________; I can’t speak too highly of him.
A) as a result
B) in a word
C) by the way
D) on the contrary
49. The man to whom we handed the forms pointed out that they had not been _______ filled in.
50. I shall have companion in the house after all these ________ years.
51. After a long and exhausting journey, they arrived ________.
A) till the last
B) at last
C) by the end
D) at the end
52. None of the servants were ________ when Mr. Smith wanted to send a message.
53. I can’t ________ what that object is.
A) make up
B) make over
C) make out
D) make for
54. I want to buy a new tie to ________ this brown suit.
A) go into
B) go after
C) go with
D) go by
55. The newest satellite can ________ a thousand telephone conversations and a colour TV program at the same time.
56. I can ________ some noise while I’m studying, but I can’t stand loud noises.
A) come up with
B) catch up with
C) put up with
D) keep up with
57. When the whole area was ________ by the flood, the government sent food there by helicopter.
A) cut away
B) cut down
C) cut up
D) cut off
58. The bridge was named ________ the hero who gave his life for the cause of the people.
59. There were no tickets ________ for Friday’s performance.
60. Many new ________ will be opened up in the future for those with a university education.