同 shrink, narrow, reduce
The cold weather made the cement in the sidewalk contract until it finally cracked.
The peace talks reached a deadlock and nothing could be decided.
同laugh at, mock, sneer, taunt
You should not deride children for their failures; you should encourage them to try again.
同 separate, distinct, discontinuous
The different sections of the city are actually quite discrete and each has its own characteristics.
同intricate, delicate, painstaking, complicated
The wedding dress' design was very elaborate and took many weeks to make.
同intensify, strengthen, heighten, advance, augment
This new fax machine will enhance interoffice communications.
同study of races
Dr. Henderson is a famous expert on Asian ethnology.
同likeness, duplicate, copy, replica
Gordon's painting was an almost perfect facsimile of the original.
Exercise: Fill in the blanks.
1. Mr. Warren was arrested for _____ enemy soldiers.
2. In some cultures, criminals are _____ from the community and forced to live in the wilderness.
3. Because none of us could _____ of a better idea, we all aGREed to Sally's plan.
4. A suggestion to bring in a mediator broke the _____ between the workers' union and company management.
5. Charlie bought a machine that is supposed to _____ the sound quality of his computer.
解答：1. abetting 2. banished 3. conceive 4. deadlock 5. enhance