Are you ready to begin building a vision for your desired professional destination? Brown-Volkman recommends closing your eyes, letting your imagination run free, and asking yourself the following 10 questions.
* If anything were possible, what would I want to be different in my career?
* What type of job would I want?
* What would I want to be responsible for?
* What type of boss/co-workers/team would I want?
* What kind of hours would I want to work?
* What type of company would I want work for?
* What sort of culture would I want the company to have?
* What city would I want to live in?
* What salary would I want to earn?
* What would I want my approach to stress, my workload, and deadlines to be?
As you mull these questions over in your mind, Brown-Volkman reminds professionals, "There are no right or wrong answers. It's only what is true for you -- not what someone else wants for you. Listen to yourself and your heart."
Once you've created your vision, start exploring new positions that would offer some, if not all, aspects of it. You may have to switch industries or change careers, but you'll lead a more fulfilling professional life and be more likely to arrive at a destination of your choosing.